Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Banana Rum Cake

I was about to leave to go camping last week when I realized I had two bananas that wouldn't make it through the weekend in my 80 degree apartment. So I knew I had to use them or freeze them. Since I was off to a weekend of eating and drinking, I figured I would combine the two and make a banana rum cake. I've made rum cake before and had mixed results depending on the recipe, but this one turned out really good.

I took the recipe from http://www.food.com/recipe/bahama-mama-banana-rum-cake-373477, but I used a combination of butter and margarine since I was out of butter, and I didn't quite use the amount of rum it called for (I ran out, not an hour after I got back from BevMo!). I used my silicon bundt cake pan, which I'm pretty sure was bigger than the pan they called for, and it made a TON of cake! I still have over half of it left. I was also too lazy to put the glaze on correctly, so I just poked a bunch of holes in the bottom of the cake and slowly poured the glaze over the bottom, letting it soak in overnight.

It's kind of ugly in the picture, but I didn't remember to take one until I had already cut it into quarters to put in the bags to take with me.
The cake turned out to be delicious, with some really rummy areas, and some that tasted like banana bread. It was really rich, but had the bite from the rum to tone it down a little. And I did get the sugary crust it was supposed to have, but on the bottom of the cake, which was fine since we were just grabbing chunks out of a Ziplock bag anyways.

I might just have this for dessert tonight before I freeze the rest of it, with a little glass of Zaya rum on the side. Yummm...

No comments:

Post a Comment