When Brendan was home last, he left me some sourdough starter. I hadn't had starter in the fridge for years, but remembered the sourdough "silver dollar" pancakes we used to have as kids, so I gamely decided I would try to keep the stuff alive and actually use it.
After feeding diligently for a few weeks, I decided to make a coffee cake for a girls weekend that was coming up. I started with the recipe here:
http://www.food.com/recipe/sourdough-coffee-cake-225416
Added cinnamon to the batter, nutmeg and pecans to the topping and increased the topping by another half and put a layer of it in the middle. Underbaked it a little (probably because of all the extra deliciousness I added) but it turned out great and everyone seemed to like it.
This one was a keeper, and I will definitely be using my starter more in the future. Not as scary as I thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment